Part of the Elektron Technology, Group, Sheen is a leading manufacturer and supplier of quality inspection and testing instruments used in the paint, coating, automotive and other industries.
We are an internationally recognised brand in the industry with a worldwide customer base, work closely with our distributors in over 40 countries and offer a comprehensive product range in the field of appearance inspection, physical testing and viscosity measurement. Our products are backed up by our extensive service network.
Working as a part of the Product Development Team, with specific responsibility for embedded software design, the role is responsible for developing embedded applications for Sheen’s instrumentation and monitoring/control products. Applications will range from simple GUIs for instrument control to the control of sensors in a number of fields including temperature, viscosity and pressure measurement; and will be tailored for users ranging from production process controllers through to laboratory based scientists. The role will require practical experience of product full lifecycle development and risk analysis, and as such use of FMEA would be desirable.
Software design ownership through the product life cycle:
- Concept definition.
- Product requirements specification.
- System architecture definition.
- Detailed modelling.
- Coding and debugging.
- Hands – on involvement in design verification and validation.
- Delivery of high quality documentation and reports.
- Meeting challenging project deadlines while assuring high quality solutions.
- Helping to build the core knowledge, best practices and design standards for the team, department and company.
Applications will have a particular focus on:
- Capturing, analysis and recording data.
- Implementation of complex algorithms.
- Developing applications for PC based and embedded environments using C/C++.
- Controlling remotely connected instruments through wired or wireless interfaces such as USB, Ethernet and Bluetooth or actuators.
- Connecting applications across networks.
- Embedded control of sensors, motors and actuators.
The Senior Embedded Software Engineer will have a high skill level in the fundamentals of software engineering including:
- Use of source control systems.
- Use of change control procedures.
- Document and code reviewing
- Adherence to quality procedure for software development.
The Senior Embedded Software Engineer will be:
- Able to contribute and thrive in an exciting, dynamic, and fast moving environment.
- A team player with excellent interpersonal and cross-functional working skills.
- Innovative along with a methodical and systematic approach to work.
- Detailed and quality conscious with a sharp focus on schedule and delivery.
- Able to mentor junior engineers.
- An excellent verbal and written communicator.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of five years developing embedded applications in a commercial environment.
- Knowledge of object orientated design techniques and analysis.
- Knowledge and experience in C/C++, C# or Verilog/VHDL.
- Knowledge of developing applications in Windows or Linux environments.
- Experience with a range of microprocessor architecture, e.g. PIC and ARM.
- Experience with source control systems, e.g. GIT.
- Experience with bug tracking systems, e.g. JIRA.
- Experience with designing for automatic test/regression.
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum development techniques.
- Experience with FPGA development.
- Experience of interfacing firmware to sensors, motors and actuators.
- Experience of designing simple GUIs for embedded applications.
- Experience of working with quality systems such as ISO 13485 and 21CFR820.
- Software life cycle to IEC 62304 and change management.